Friday, October 3, 2008

The Real Losers Last Night


After reading all the commentary about the VP debate this morning, I have come to the conclusion that the real losers after the debate is us.

As a kid, I remember reading about the fiery and passionate debate performances given during the Lincoln / Douglas Debates. The energy, ability to articulate and grasp of complex subjects were the keys to a successful debater. Even as a participant of debates, when running for Student Body President in college, I had to know me "stuff" and be able to communicate clearly my vision for the University.

Last night's debate showed us how low the bar could go. I thought I had seen some of the worst debates when watching George Bush, but now I see that we can set the standard on the ground.

Palin's mediocre speaking skills and 5% grasp of the issues that we face today were obvious. By not answering questions at all or answering with talking points I was insulted. If she is the defender and voice of Conservatism for the Republicans then Conservatives are really in trouble.

The reason that Palin does so poorly in one-on-one interviews is because there is a follow-up question. So once she recites the talking point, she is lost. It is obvious that she does not know how to to defend her positions because she has just a "surface" knowledge of them.

I know that Bush got away with this before, but this time around I am trusting that Americans are seeing this election in more serious terms. With the economy faltering, people want real detailed answers. A candidate that just uses the same old one liners should not be taken seriously.

A wink, a smile and a talking point should not be enough to win a debate on serious issues and certainly not enough to win the Vice Presidency of this great nation!

No comments: