Thursday, February 14, 2008

When You Meet The One That Takes Your Breath Away

That was it for me. I knew when I saw her walk into that dormitory as a freshman that she was something special. A kind of glow was around her as she took various boxes into the elevator to her new college residence.

I was manning a check in table and remember it clearly. Later I would talk to this seemingly shy girl about getting involved on campus. She took up that challenge and we had friendly discussions. It would be a couple of years before our two hearts would realize the significance of the encounters.

The shy girl, it turns out was not so shy. She was quiet, for sure, but that was not shyness, it was analysis. My love, it turns out is smart… very smart. That flowing blond hair was backed up by itelligence. That was a perfect combination for me. And there was more. There was an extra thing that many people lack. Passion of the heart. A drive to achieve and see things as they are.

So here we are, years later looking back with fondness at our first adventures realizing that they just keep coming. With four spitfire children and a multitude of real life challenges, I still see that wonderful girl. I see her in our children. They too are beautiful, smart and passionate. They show compassion for others that makes me know that the World is a wonderful place. This is because of Her.

That is the beauty that takes my breath away today. My kids, my wife… our family.

For all the droves of books and reels of film dedicated to stories of finding the perfect love, I say “skip it”. Just head on out to the last stop in the Midwest. One only needs to visit us to see it.

No comments: