Sunday, April 13, 2008

Barack's Religious Inspiration on Me

I have something to confess, I have long been skeptical of the church. Over that last few years the only time I step in a church is for a wedding or a funeral service. It is not that I am not spiritual but I am weary of the church structure and politics.

I have been following the campaign of Barack Obama for some time now. I have also just finished reading his book The Audacity of Hope. The book has stirred in my heart a new optimism about our country and the chapter on religion has started me seriously considering finding a church to attend.

I just got done reviewing various church websites for where we live and this family of 6 will most likely set foot in a church together for Sunday service for the very first time.

I can tell you that it is Barack's story that is the inspiration for this. I had a chance this past Saturday hear caucus delegate speeches for the chance to go the Denver to represent Barack at the Democratic convention.

Many of those speeches included some version of this line, "It is a GOD thing that I am supporting Barack Obama".

As I think about those words I get an overwhelming feeling that there is more going on here then human's can understand. It is like something is happening for the greater good. Most of my post are filled with logic but this is decidedly different.

I wonder how many other folks out there feel the same way and, possibly, have a similar story to tell.

2 comments:

Joel Chasco said...

Yes. That book was absolutely inspiring. Funny how it also inspired me to find a church just to see what it's all about.

If you are searching for a church and are wary of the traditional church structure, I would see if there is a Unitarian Universalist church around your area. I'm agnostic and my girlfriend was raised Catholic and we both enjoy the church and community.

Here's the site for it. http://www.uua.org/visitors/index.shtml

Joel C.

George said...

I am not a religious person either, and intend to keep it that way. However, what I am most impressed with by Senator Obama is his steadfast support of the principle of Separation of Church and State. How can anyone run for political office in our country and need see the importance of that? Or worse, how can they not see the danger of anything else?

Everytime I see Senator Obama speak, he uses logic and reason to explain his positions, aspirations, and successes. That is what I want out of a political leader. I don't care what or who they worship on their own time, but don't force, explain, or otherwise attempt to make it part of my life.

Thanks for reading. For more, visit www.thethirtyyearitch.blogspot.com

George.